Job Opportunity Information
Washington, DC - USA
Monday, January 29th 2024
Deadline to apply
The American Biogas Council (ABC) has an immediate, full-time opening for an energetic individual, motivated to promote clean energy technologies and build their career in renewable energy and carbon policy. This position will support the ABC, and its member companies in their mission: leading the way to a better future by maximizing the positive environmental and economic impacts biogas systems offer, while recycling organic material into renewable energy and soil products.
Requirements | Location
The American Biogas Council is based in Washington D.C., but currently all staff work remotely. Remote work will require you to have a reliable internet connection, phone access, and ability to utilize group chat technologies including platforms like WhatsApp, Slack, etc.
Official employment will be with Stone Harbor Group, an association management company that provides nearly all the staffing and management for the American Biogas Council. The candidate is planned to be 100% dedicated to serving the American Biogas Council client.
The full-time position requires a time commitment of 40 hours per week. ABC operating hours are 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM, eastern standard time, although these hours are flexible.
Work Compensation and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience with salary adjustments based on merit. Annual merit increases and promotions are based on mutual employee and supervisor performance reviews
- 100% Company-paid health, life, long-term disability.
- Optional access to dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) Plan, with 100% employer match up to 5%
- 6+ weeks off: 12 paid holidays each year; 10 paid vacation days; 10 paid sick/emergency leave days. Vacation increases with longevity.
- Comp-time (accrued additional vacation)
- Virtual work environment
- 3 months paid maternity/paternity leave
- Opportunities to earn annual bonuses
To advance this mission, the ABC seeks a full-time professional to lead the organization’s outreach and advocacy to ensure key audiences recognize the positive role biogas systems play to advance renewable energy and sustainable fuels production, recycling, sustainable agriculture, and the overall decarbonization of our economy. The biogas industry is growing fast which means that the people we need to educate, and groups who oppose biogas systems are accelerating and diversifying. Voluminous and well-targeted education is the key to reducing barriers to growth in the US biogas industry. The ABC is looking for an experienced outreach professional, with a team-oriented mindset, who can jump into this fast-moving environment to lead all of ABC’s outreach efforts, the Education & Outreach Committee, and execution of the ABC’s 2024 priorities in this program area (not in priority order):
- #BenefitsofBiogas Campaign: Continue the #benefitsofbiogas campaign of infographics, distributed mostly through social media, and engaging ABC’s members and the Education and Outreach Committee to amplify its external reach.
- Media Relations: Proactively engage with key national, regional and trade media to proactively pitch and promote the biogas industry as well as ABC leaders, board members and SMEs.
- Thought Leadership: Position ABC and its team/members as respected thought leaders in the biogas industry by publishing relevant, engaging articles/Op-Eds authored by ABC executives in targeted media outlets and via LinkedIn, including telling the stories of biogas’ versatility and new markets.
- Respond, as needed, to factually incorrect articles to educate the public and further establish ABC as the source of trustworthy, correct information about the biogas industry.
- Video/Animation Production: Develop and distribute a series of educational, compelling videos and animations to share via ABC’s social media and website, including original recorded/created content highlighting different aspects and impacts of the biogas industry; testimonials/stories from industry leaders; and case studies.
- Digital Marketing & Advertising: Develop and implement a paid digital strategy to grow and amplify ABC’s online presence, increase social engagement and reach key audiences through LinkedIn advertising and Google Ads (paid search).
- Public Affairs: Strategically align with ABC’s policy staff to educate state and federal policymakers to advocate for industry priorities; identify and promote the impacts and opportunities in the Inflation Reduction Act.
- Event Support/Marketing: Develop video and related communications materials to increase attendance/participation at BIOGAS AMERICAS and ABC’s other events and conferences.
This full-time position is open to a candidate with at least 5-10 years’ experience in:
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant discipline
- Excellent professional and persuasive writing and verbal communications skills
- 5-10 years’ experience in:
- Public and media relations
- Creation of digital content and management of social media platforms
- Graphics design or managing graphics designers
- Website creation, editing, search engine marketing, Google Analytics, and Google AdWords
- Leading teams
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro), Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Knowledge of climate, clean energy technology and markets, and sustainability issues,
- An understanding of corporate perspectives.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, including requisite time management and organizational skills
- Ability to travel domestically to support ABC activities as needed, ~4-6 times a year.
- Motivated, self-starter attitude, with proven ability to work independently and proactively on organization priorities, coupled with the humility necessary to be an effective team player.
How to apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com, Subject: Communications Director.