Job Opportunity Information
Fully remote - Can be located anywhere in Canada
English / French
Friday, July 14th 2023
Deadline to apply
QUEST Canada envisions a sustainable net-zero future where communities across Canada benefit from our assistance and are prosperous as a result of taking action on energy use and emissions. Our Theory of Change goal is to enable 500 diverse communities in Canada implement durable and just net-zero strategies by 2030.
The role of the Director, Operations is to support the organization in achieving its mission of helping communities in Canada establish coordinated local action on energy and emissions by ensuring the organization has capacity to deliver high-quality and impactful initiatives. Primary responsibilities include scaling the Net-Zero Communities Accelerator Program, overseeing all Programs and Projects, ensuring the Programs and Projects team has the capacity needed to deliver on commitments, supporting business development for Programs and Projects, contributing as part of the Senior Management Team and embodying leadership. The Director, Operations reports to the Executive Director (the “Supervisor”).
The ideal candidate has deep experience with team and financial management (MBA preferred); has overseen multi-year, multi-sectoral, multi-million dollar initiatives; has experience with impact measurement and evaluation; is accustomed to working in a fast-paced work environment with a diverse workload; and has excellent problem-solving and negotiation skills.
The Director, Operations is expected to undertake the following functions and responsibilities, as well as other functions and responsibilities as requested by their Supervisor:
1. Management & Leadership
- Supervise and develop Programs and Projects team members to ensure the execution of actions in alignment with program and project objectives, and consistent with business plan, strategic plan and corporate goals; and anticipate and mitigate implementation issues.
- Continuously improve and monitor operational processes and procedures for the Program and Project Delivery Team to ensure attainment of yearly business plan revenue targets, objectives, and deliverables; and ensure all internal and external reporting requirements are met promptly.
- Lead impact measurement work for the organization, working collaboratively with entire team.
- Work with the Executive Director and Finance Director (Senior Management Team) to continuously improve and implement proper financial controls and reporting.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team contribute strategic, operational, and business expertise for the development of QUEST Canada’s strategic plan, annual business plan, budget, and human resource planning and development in line with corporate goals.
- Support a success-oriented, goal-driven, communicative, and collaborative environment within the organization including enhancing the organization’s culture and core values.
2. Business Development
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, be accountable for QUEST Canada securing multi-year Program and Project funds to support our work.
- Lead and negotiate the scaling up of our flagship program, the Net Zero Communities Accelerator, in new jurisdictions, with new partners, and new funders.
- Work with Lead, Engagement and Business Development to identify and analyze business development opportunities.
- Strategize with Manager, Business Development and Lead, Engagement and Business Development to optimize Program, Project and Supporter fundraising
- Oversee and/or lead development of strong proposals in collaboration with Programs and Projects team; and negotiate contract terms with funders for successful Programs and Projects.
- Create and maintain relationships with existing and potential funders and keep them informed of our work.
3. Partnership Development & Relationship Management
- Work with Executive Director to explore and develop deeper partnerships with organizations which share QUEST Canada’s values, and engage in long-term working relationships where risks and rewards are shared.
- Serve as an ambassador for QUEST Canada, building appropriate relationships for the positive benefit of the organization, attend conferences and events, and participate in external committees/bodies as directed.
- Act as a spokesperson and public relations representative of QUEST Canada to strengthen its profile.
- Respond to the diverse needs of QUEST Canada’s organizing bodies, and maintain a high level of professionalism towards funders, volunteers, clients, supporters and partners.
Required Qualifications & Experience
- Very highly organized
- MBA or equivalent experience
- Minimum 7+ years of increasingly progressive experience in operations, program/project management, preferably in the non-profit sector or the investment industry
- Managing complex multi-year, multi-sectoral programs with budgets >$1,000,000
- Complex budget management (demonstrable knowledge of Canadian accounting standards for non-profit organizations and regulations governing non-profit accounting preferred)
- Proven ability to develop relationships and initiatives to secure funding from private and public sector investors/funders
- Full business development cycle – from ideation to proposal development to contract negotiations
- Scaling initiatives
- Internal, program, developmental and/or summative evaluation
- Working independently and maintaining self-motivation
- Working with diverse stakeholder groups
- Internal and external relationship management
- Strong communication abilities (listening, speaking, writing)
- Flexible and understanding
- Collaborative and inclusive
- Canadian energy sector and/or community energy and climate experience
- Experience and relationships with Indigenous communities
- Fully bilingual in French and English
- Experience working or volunteering in a charitable/not for profit environment
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
How to apply
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, résumé and an indication of start date availability via this: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfH3AFnxeVNDDwJVnrm6UEdMd6xYVH5YwEodRa-i3pdsOXO1A/viewform?pli=1.
The ideal start date for the successful candidate is August 21, 2023.