Job Opportunity Information
Senior Business Developer - BIOGAS -
English / Spanish
Monday, October 9th 2023
Deadline to apply
Engie is currently looking for a Senior Business Developer – BIOGAS – for our headquarters in Madrid.
Spain has been selected by RGE as a priority country to develop biogas production. ENGIE is already active in Spain through its trading entity to secure biomethane sourcing. It is intended to leverage on that position to integrate the value chain upstream.
To carry out this development in Spain, RGE is recruiting a Senior Business Developer whose mission will be to originate and qualify opportunities and develop projects until the final investment decision can be taken.
The position will be located in Madrid. The geographical scope of development will cover the whole country.
The main responsibility of the Senior Business Developer will be to develop a portfolio of projects in Spain. It includes the following activities:
Originate biogas production opportunities by:
- Scouting the market and identifying locations where a biogas plant could be built taking into account the local environment, in particular in terms of feedstock potential, social acceptability, infrastructures availability (power and gas grid connections, access roads), digestate disposal;
- Identifying and assessing opportunities to acquire or enter into projects developed by 3rd party developers;
- Running preliminary technical and economic assessment to qualify the interest of opportunities, including risks and opportunities analysis.
Develop biogas projects that have been confirmed after the origination phase by:
- Setting up and coordinating the project team including necessary expertise (commercial, technical, permitting, regulatory, legal, financial, procurement, etc.);
- Managing the development activities to ensure efficient development according to schedule and budget;
- Managing the project stakeholders incl. feedstock suppliers, land owners, biomethane offtakers, digestate offtakers, local authorities, local residents, etc.
- Running negotiations with the commercial counterparties of the project (feedstock/digestate, offtake, EPC, O&M, etc.);
- Managing project partners, as the case may be, and steering the project in compliance with the agreed governance;
- Preparing the necessary decisions in compliance with ENGIE’s governance and in connection with RGE’s business development management;
- Preparing project organisation for the construction phase.
Hand-over the projects upon the final investment decision / financial close to the Construction Project Manager and the Asset Manager.
Carry out his/her mission, the Senior Business Developer will get the support from RGE teams including:
- Strategy, Markets & Partnerships Team, the Business Development Management Office Team and the Regulatory Affairs & Public Advocacy Team of the Development Division of the global organisation;
- Projects & Engineering Division holding the technical biogas expertise in biogas and technical project management;
- Senior Business Developer will get the support of a Technical Project Manager from RGE’s Projects & Engineering Division when a project has been approved for development.
- Senior Business Developer will also seek for external support, on a project by project basis, to carry out specific activities of development (e.g. permitting, engineering studies, feedstock lab analysis, etc.).
ENGIE Group’s entities the Senior Business Developer will interact with include:
– GEMS (Global Energy Management & Sales), as the preferred offtaker of the biomethane and bio LNG;
– Country Hub to get support on matters in the field of legal, procurement, RAPA (Regulatory Affairs / Public Affairs), communication, HR, finance, etc.;
– AIFA (Acquisition, Investment and Financial Advisory) for economic modelling
Senior Business Developer shall have the following competences and experience:
- 5 years or more of experience in business development of energy production assets, or equivalent
- Strong knowledge of the gas sector and renewable gas (business models, regulations, etc.)
- Knowledge in business modelling and economic assessment of renewable gas projects.
- Fluent in Spanish and English. French is a plus.
- Ready to travel within Spain and occasionally in Europe.
COMPETENCIES required for the job position
- Competences in commercial negotiation and partnership negotiation.
- Strong skills to manage project teams and partnerships. Good communication skills.
- Innovative in finding solutions to complex problems.
- Pragmatic and efficient when dealing with operational issues.
- Autonomous and able to take initiatives.
How to apply
To apply click on the "Link to Opportunity" button or through the company's LinkedIn page.